For Prepar3D v5 and Prepar3D v4
ASP3D is the latest addition to the ActiveSky weather simulation engine line. ASP3D evolves realism-based weather simulation, building upon the ground-breaking and proven features of ActiveSky while integrating with the latest platform from Lockheed Martin: Prepar3D v5.
Many of the back-end systems of ActiveSky have been completely redesigned or overhauled for ASP3D
- New P3D add-on folder specification/design, with everything installed outside of the P3D folders – Includes ASCA support (with SP3 Update)
- New networking design eliminating the need for SimConnect configuration in networked environments – Just install ASP3D, install the included Connector on the server machine, configure your shared paths, and go!
- New XGauge universal design that works for any aircraft without needing to install into panels – New reworked airborne radar mode visualization with radial signal processing + multiple radar usage capability (you can now use multiple AS Radar API add-on radar displays together along with XGauge airborne radar mode all at the same time)
- Wind smoothing redesigned for higher frequency force actuation and organic feel
These backend systems, while not seemingly much different from previous versions of ActiveSky, represent a significant development effort with much improvement in stability, performance, ease of use, reduced technical support requirement and enabling more rapid new feature development.
All features listed are subject to change
- New Prepar3D v5 integration with all the standard functionality you’d expect from the ActiveSky weather engine
- Works with both P3Dv5 and P3Dv4
- Works in both standard mode and new “Enhanced Atmospherics (beta)” mode with P3Dv5 – See below for EA limitations
- New P3D add-on specification design with all items installed outside of the P3D folders
- New Universal XGauge design that works for all aircraft at any time without requiring panel additions
- New networking design that eliminates the need for SimConnect configuration or use between clients and server – Just install ASP3D on the client, the included AS P3D Connector Installer on the server, make sure your networked shares are configured, and go
- Includes ASCA integration for cloud and sky graphics enhancements with dynamic cloud and sky texture variation, now working fully outside the P3D folder using the new add-on specification design – ASCA works in default depiction mode and does not work with the Enhanced Atmospherics mode in P3Dv5
- Major enhancements to the data network, weather synthesis, interpolation, and other core weather simulation and depiction technologies – now with much increased performance, stability and availability
- Includes the most advanced version of our award-winning core weather engine and weather data services, being refined now for over 20 years
The new Enhanced Atmospherics (EA) mode in P3Dv5 is a beta version and not a finished nor polished cloud depiction result. There is not yet an API or SDK control available for add-ons to adjust aspects of the depiction or shaders. While ASP3D works with EA mode, certain depiction issues exist with or without a weather add-on. Some features of ASP3D are not compatible with EA mode. This includes: Cloud detection features, in-cloud motion effect, in-cloud visibility reduction, high-resolution radar/precip accuracy, smooth theme reloads and ASCA-integrated enhancements/dynamics. While the EA depiction and API is evolved over time, we will be constantly working to further extend and integrate with this depiction system.
Note that ASCA content will not be shown in EA mode. Any traditional P3D graphics enhancement add-on content will NOT be shown with EA mode. The cloud and sky visuals will be replaced by trueSKY entirely, following the weather data injected by ASP3D. When EA mode is disabled, ASCA and any other add-on graphics content will be used as expected.
Upgrade Beta Offer
Beta testing schedule, planned offers, pricing and all other information is subject to change
ASP3D will be offered as a free upgrade from ASP4 for a limited time that includes the planned OPEN BETA testing period. We expect the OPEN BETA period to take 2-3 weeks but many factors can influence and change this. All ASP4 licensees may participate at any time during the OPEN BETA period.
After official release, all registered OPEN BETA participants will receive the full release version free of charge.
To take advantage of the OPEN BETA OFFER and claim your ASP3D license/account, please download and install ASP3D from our downloads page, and use your ASP4 license during new ASP3D user registration.
Official Release Schedule
ASP3D official release plans and schedule will be announced soon. We first want to get through the initial stages of our OPEN BETA cycle, confirm wide stability, and work on adding and testing a few new features.
All requirements listed are subject to change
- Windows v7 SP1 or later, 64-bit version
- Prepar3D v4 (with HF3 or later) or Prepar3D v5 (with HF1 or later)
- 2GB RAM or greater
- 1GHZ x64 processor or greater
- 500MB available hard drive space or greater
- 1024×768 minimum available screen resolution to display all user interface features
- Stable internet connection (broadband recommended)
We are aware of the following issues currently with P3Dv5 and/or ASP3D:
- Strange rare color corruption of the nearest cloud sprite, in non-EA mode, when HDR is enabled, in certain cloud scenes, with certain camera angles. Results in a small section of apparent strangely colored sky. This is confirmed to be a P3Dv5 issue and we have passed our findings along to P3D developers and are hopeful for a resolution soon.
ASP4 licensees may participate in the OPEN BETA, which is available from our downloads page. Please download, install, run, and use the “New User? Register for an account!” link on the login page to create your ASP3D account using your ASP4 license key. Your ASP4 license key was provided when you purchased (email) and is also available at your reseller site (order history).
To purchase the current version of ActiveSky that will include access to the ASP3D OPEN BETA, along with a free upgrade to the full version when released, click here!